Tuesday, 21 July 2009

New beginnings

Ok, so I haven't blogged in a while, but due to a change in circumstances and greater access to the net I'm back online! Now, for those of you who know me, I'm a man of many facets and stories.

A little bit about me:

I grew up in Bristol, Kent, Oxford and Bath, then moved back to Bristol to study Law at uni there. Interspersed with studying I also lived in Australia, set up my own personal training business; worked as a nightclub doorman, started writing a book and re-found God. (more on that later). I've also lived all over Mexico when I spent part of last year with a christian missionary organisation over there, building houses and relationships.

Having a wide range of interests including sports, music, socialising, relationships, reading, writing my latest book, and of course my Christian faith. I dislike boredom and unproductiveness, lack of consideration and ignorance and untidiness. But generally speaking I'm laid back, positive guy who is keen to get the most out of life.

Most recently I have worked at DeVere Slaley Hall near Hexham in Northumberland for the past 8 months, a challenging time for various reasons, not least because it's in the middle of nowhere! However, very shortly I'll be moving over to Durham to start an internship year with the church I go to there. In some ways it's a bit weird because I have done similar things when I was in Mexico, but I know it is the right thing to do at the present time.

The year will be intense and challenging, but I never like to take it easy! I'm looking forward to working in prisons, with the CAB, with Norpol, and developing relationships and friendships within Durham, serving and growing. I'm also glad that I won't have to get up at 5am again as I have done over the past 8 months.

I'm less looking forward to some levels of regimentation and lack of independence, although I know in many ways its going to be very good for me! Character scrutinisation will also be interesting, especially as I'm one of the oldest interns, and have been out of university and in the working world for the last 2years. I'm also one to worry slightly about money, although I do know that God does provide, its still a bit daunting, especially in current circumstances.

Oh yeah, that's another thing, tangentially speaking: the media controls us! It drip feeds us with information, 99% of which is speculative and/or opinion and 1% fact. For example, the headlines are read out on radio 4, which takes approximately 1minute, the rest of the time, the 'journalists' discuss the details, debate, argue and spin a web of fear and uncertainty (in most circumstances) for the recipient. A prime example is the recession. "Credit crunch", "downturn", "slump", "bust", "current climate". These are all buzzwords for the media to use in this day and age, instilling an equal amount of uncertainty as "terrorism", "war on terror" "Al-qaeda" did a few years ago. We forget how much the media have a stronghold over us, almost to the extent that they control how we act on a daily basis, now if that ain't demonic (if we subscribe to it per se) then I don't know what is!

You will find, that this blog may be littered with anecdotes of opinion as seen above on a regular basis, and if you like them great, if you don't well- its enough that we have free speech and opinion in this country.

So there you have it, blog 1 done. I might in the course of time (if appropriated correctly) update this blog, if not then it will go with countless others of unused bandwidth data...

wait and see....

No comments:

Post a Comment